Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm Still Man, But I'm Watching Baby Shows

I grew up in the country where to the right of us our closest neighbor was about a quarter mile away. There were no metrosexuals in the Madden household. Many times my dad, brothers, and I would do your typical man stuff. We would play ball together, chop wood, build tree forts (not houses, forts) in the woods, and let out Tim the Tool Man grunts often. As young boys we were always dirty and smelled like your typical boys.
I have a running joke with a couple people at the office where I talk about how manly I am, and these couple women joke about how I'm not. We have a good time with it.
There are certain things that probably wouldn't be thought as typically masculine and that I would have probably made fun of my buddies if I heard they were doing them. Now I find myself doing them. Like watching baby shows. Whether it's ones about women who are pregnant, giving birth, or raising babies, I find these shows riveting where once I would have thought they were a bore. I think why I am watching them is that they are now relevant. I want to be the best dad I can be and as they say, "information is power." So I am curious what other things I will be doing that I once thought not so masculine.

No comments:

Post a Comment